Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Snapshot - streets of Haiti

I found this minute and a half piece of footage in my video camera while searching for something else, this one caugth my eye because it was shot while we were driving out of the center of Port-au-Prince, at around 5:45pm on the 12th day of January; This day marked the one year anniversary of the massive earthquake that rattled the island nation.
What I did with this video is quite simple; I wanted to recreate the way photographers tend to look for the "Decisive Moment" (as Cartier-Bresson used to call it), and grab the "snapshot". I chopped the original soundtrack off the video and added the "hypnotic" ambient sounds of Brian Eno's "Music for Airports", while slowing down the footage speed by 50%. The result I got is a microcosm of what to expect to see when you drive around Port-au-Prince, but this one is from a passenger's point of view. The slow flow of the images let's you appreciate more closely what happens on top those sidewalks.
Silent Grace Foundation is the humanitarian relief organization I travel with. Please help and let's not forget Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment